Wednesday, March 7, 2012
Saturday, March 3, 2012
Ginger Beef Stir Fry
· 226 gram (8 ounces) beef top round steak
· 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
· 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
· 2 1/2teaspoons cornstarch
· 2 - 3teaspoons grated fresh ginger
· Nonstick cooking spray
· 1 1/2cups sliced fresh mushrooms
· 1 medium carrot, thinly bias sliced
· 3 cups small broccoli florets or 1 pound fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 2-inch-long pieces
· 1 small capsicum (red sweet pepper), seeded and cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips (1 cup)
· 1tablespoon cooking oil
· 2 green onions, bias-sliced into 2-inch lengths (1/4 cup)
· 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
If desired, partially freeze beef for easier slicing. Trim fat from beef. Thinly slice beef across the grain into bite-size strips. Set aside. For sauce: In a small bowl, stir together beef broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, and ginger; set aside.
2. Lightly coat an unheated wok or large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and carrot; stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add broccoli and sweet pepper; stir-fry about 2 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove vegetables from wok.
3. Carefully add oil to wok. Add beef; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until desired doneness. Push beef from center of wok. Stir sauce. Add sauce to center of wok. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
4. Return vegetables to wok. Add green onions. Stir all ingredients together to coat with sauce; heat through. Serve immediately over hot cooked rice. Makes 4 servings (1 cup beef mixture with 1/2 cup rice per serving).
Servings Per Recipe 4, Calories 274, Protein (gm) 20, Carbohydrate (gm) 34,Fat, total (gm) 7, Cholesterol (mg) 32, Saturated fat (gm) 1, Dietary Fiber, total (gm) 5,Sodium (mg) 552, Vegetables () 2, Starch () 2, Very Lean Meat () 2, Fat () 1,Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet