Anyhow i finally found a recipe that is easy to make and tastes great
- 400g macaroni
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 rashers middle bacon, sliced into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 white or brown onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups grated tasty cheese
- 3/4 cups Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated tasty cheese extra
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Cook macaroni according to directions in plenty of salted boiling water until al dente – ensure that it does not get too soft. Drain and set aside.
2. Grease a large (about 30x25cms) baking dish.
3. In the saucepan heat the oil and fry the onion and bacon until onion is soft and translucent and bacon is cooked-about 5 minutes. Then add the cream, milk and nutmeg and wait until it comes to a boil, turn it down to a simmer and add the cheeses.
4. Pour into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and extra cheese, bake for 5-10 minutes or place under hot grill under crumbs are crunchy and cheese melted
With the baking dish size you can put it in a less shallow dish to bake it, but i like the cheese and the breadcrumbs on top.
I got the recipe from Not Quite Nigella she has quite a lot of recipes some easy some hard but they all seem pretty good to eat