Saturday, July 25, 2009

Safe Haven Law in America, you can drop of your Children

There seems to be a new law in Nebraska called Safe Haven Law which was designed to protect babies and infants from parental abandonment.

Some parents are seeing it another way it seems, thinking they can drop of their children if they cant handle them anymore

But one 34-year-old father deposited nine children ages 1 to 17 at Creighton University Medical Center -- and then walked away.

"I was with her for 17 years, and then she was gone. What was I going to do? We
raised them together. I didn't think I could do it alone. I fell apart. I
couldn't take care of them."


It seems that the mother died a year and a half ago after a cerebral hemorrhage and the father, Gary Staton, felt he could no longer look after his children


It says that the poor children are “struggling to varying degrees with what’s happened to them.”
I know at times that you get sick of your children, but i always thought deep down that most parents loved their children. Myself i dont have children, but have many friends who have children of all ages. I dont really understand the love most parents have for their child,

I read somewhere years ago that when a child is born it is like part of your heart is torn away from you and placed into that child, so shouldnt it be hard to not want to protect part of yourself??

.

1 comments:

Arameya said...

The guy did have five kids...

Every issue has two different sides. Surely the institute must have some sort of screening procedure to prevent deliberate irresponsibility (for example if you've a partner, stable income, but just decided one day you wanted to be free of obligations... Usually your kid wouldn't be a choice but now it is with Safe Haven!).

Can you imagine such a place in Australia? I certainly can't...